The Orrefors story began in 1726, when an ironworks and smith was built near “the beautiful river that flows into Lake Orrenas” in the Swedish countryside. Given the name Orrefors, which means “the Orre waterfall,” it was converted to a glassworks in 1898, as the demand for iron decreased. By the mid-1920s, Orrefors was celebrated for the quality and beauty of its glass. The company frequently collaborates with artists and has won thousands of design and glassmaking awards. Today, it's the largest glassworks in Scandinavia, and its products are sold all over the world.